Friday, November 17, 2006

Guangzhou at Last!

Daddy is writing this post. Mommy has done most of the blogging. Yesterday was Jinji's first flight. It was bittersweet, we took our first step towards her new home, but we were also leaving the place of her birth behind. I am so grateful to her foster parents. They may have modest means but we can tell that our daughter has been well cared for and loved deeply. As we fly over Guizhou I also can't help thinking of Jinji's brave birth mother. She left our beautiful little girl where she was warm and sure to be found. Phoebe, from our adoption agency told Mary and I that the mothers often watch from a distance to make sure that their child is found. They also know that foreigners from all over the world adopt these children. I imagine that Jinji's birth mother was watching our plane and wondering if her daughter was being carried away from her to a life that she can only imagine. I wish there was a way to let her know that her baby is so truly loved and that we will do our very best for her. It feels strange to owe so much to someone we will never know. All we can do is thank her in our prayers.

Jinji is a trooper. We had a little hitch at the airport and were stuck at the security check point until 10 minutes before our flight. daddy and mommy were about to have a melt down but Jinji was as cool as a cucumber. It was an ninty minute flight but Mary was able to change a diaper, make a bottle, burp Jinji and get her to sleep. I lent a hand (mostly holding the dirty diaper) best I could. Mary was wonder to behold. She is an amazing mother and I am completley in awe. Maternal instinct in action is an amazing sight.

All of the Chinese Paperwork is finished and we are in Guangzhou to get Jinji's US Visa. She will be travelling with a Chinese Passport and under her Chinese name. When we arrive in the US Jinji will be a US Citizen and after some more paperwork will have a US Passport as well as an american birthcertificate. We are at the White Swan Hotel it is VERY nice, Several US Presidents as well as many other dignitaries have stayed here. All adoptive parents from the US must come to the US Consulate here in Guangzhou to get their children's Visas. The White Swan is next door to the consulate and is well prepared for us. We have a lovely room with a crib, This morning at breakfast there must have been 50 or 60 families with new babies. I am not exagerating when I say they are ALL cute. (Jinji is still the cutest) After breakfast we did a little shopping in some of the many shops here in the hotel and we visited the playroom. It is a great space, with a CLEAN floor and many many toys all provided by Mattel. (our guide said that they wanted to hook the kids early) Jinji had a blast and we already picked out a few toys to buy once we get home(Hello Mattel, Your plan works.) it was fun watching Jinji do her commando crawl to the different toys and we had a lot of fun.

Rest of the day is free the only thing scheduled is daddy's 1pm massage(YEAH!!!!) about $10.00US for an hour. I see several more in daddy's future. Mommy and daughter are planning a shopping expedition. Daddy needs to go cash some travellers checks. Love to All!

1 comment:

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

I am loving being able to follow along on your incredible journey! Hard to believe we were just there last week!